12/14/2006

the mundane

When I was a kid, I used to think everyday happenings were so automatic. As if everything followed a strict schedule. I used to think the sun would rise at an appointed time without fail or that my mom would promptly arrive everyday at this particular time. Was I at a lost when I realized that the sun didn't shine one day with the clouds lazily drifting above. Was I at the brink of tears when my mom had arrived hours late.

We've become so used to things. Life becomes all too predictable. The mundane. But what I've come to discover that the mundane isn't so bland and so ordinary, after all. In the mundane, we find the out-of-the-ordinary. Try spotting a dot or even a speck in a sea of lines. Lines seem to go on forever, well in fact, they do just like the experience of the mundane but once that speck finds its way into the world of lines, it'll instantly stand out. And it is precisely because of the everyday things that we learn to distinguish and identify what's so noteworthy. It is because of the mundane that we learn to appreciate the beauty of things.

In retrospect, you'll realize something you've probably known all along, perhaps in the back of your head, that yesterday wasn't at all like today although you've done the same things, the same chores, the same errands, the same schedule. But the difference lies not in what you do but HOW you do it.

I'm a fan of making moments count.

I think life's too long a trip. Too long that it simply gets boring after a while. Same old stuff. And that's where the challenge lies, finding ways to make the trip a tad more fun.

The mundane. Who would've thought that because of it life becomes even the tiniest bit meaningful.

No comments: